Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Model sizes, controls and PV

Michelle:

LBNL recently conducted a survey regarding how EnergyPlus is being
used.  Someone from LBNL may be able to share some of those results
with the group here.

Regarding controls, I would agree that specifying certain control
types was simpler in DOE-2.1E, but EnergyPlus should be able to do
all of the same control strategies that DOE-2.1E has.  What specific
controls from DOE-2.1E are you unable to do in EnergyPlus?  What
specific controls are you unable to do in either program?

Please send your PV input file to energyplus-support@xxxxxxxx so that
we can look into the directional errors which you found.

Mike

On 11 Sep 2002, at 22:21, Michelle Smith wrote:

> I am just curious, what size buildings are being modeled with
> EnergyPlus? Not only the phyical size, but how complex are the
> buildings (structure, many wall and window types, etc.)?
>
> Also, are there any plans to make the control systems more flexible.
> Building controls in the real world are extremely flexible. You can
> control by more than just temperature and time schedules, you can
> use disciminator controls to control based on loading or control
> based on occupancy sensor input. In my opinion, modeling real world
> controls using DOE is much more flexible.
>
> Finally, has any one else used EnergyPlus to model PV performance? I
> used EnergyPlus and the results just didn't look right to me, so I
> used another program to compare. EnergyPlus wasn't even in the
> ballpark with regard to the energy produced. Additionally, I had two
> arrays of different sizes pointing different directions, and the
> results reported by EnergyPlus were exactly the same for both. Any
> thoughts?
>
> Thanks for any input,
>
> Michelle Smith
> Belle Engineering, LLC