From: Frederick C. Winkelmann [mailto:FCWinkelmann@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 3:25 PM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; daniel.grunbaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Airflow in COMIS

Daniel,

Neither EnergyPlus by itself nor the COMIS program in EnergyPlus can be
used to model temperature stratification in zones. You will probably
have to use a CFD program to do this.
There is a link between EnergyPlus and MITCFD, a CFD program developed
at MIT. As far as I know this link is not available yet, but you might
send email to Philip Haves at LBNL to see if you can get a hold of a
test version of EnergyPlus/MITCFD. Philip's email address is
phaves@xxxxxxx.

By the way, zones in COMIS can also be linked by cracks in interior
walls, as well as windows and doors.

Fred Winkelmann
Daniel Grunbaum wrote:

>  I am trying to simulate a naturally ventilated and building and am
> using the COMIS link. It appears as though COMIS needs all zones
> linked via openings (windows or doors) in order for it to work.If this
> is the case, how can I simulate airflow between zones that are not
> separated by a wall. For example, I want to simulate a staircase and I
> want each level of the staircase to be a zone so that I can determine
> if there is going to be over heating problems in the staircase at the
> top level. At the moment the only way I can get COMIS to work is by
> simulating the staircase as one zone which results in the zone
> temperature being the average occurring across all levels of the
> staircase.

Home Selling? Try Us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/MVfIAA/dkFolB/TM