Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] infiltration

In ASHRAE 90.1-1989, the energy cost budget called for a value of 0.038
cfm/sq.ft of exterior wall area when the fans are off, see ASHRAE 90.1-1989
13.7.3.2 except for MURBS, hotels and motels which are to assume
infiltration at all times.

That value likely has little bearing on what really happens which is why
references to infiltration are not included in ASHRAE
90.1-1999.  multi-residential buildings have a big problem with
infiltration.  The typical HVAC system in older buildings is some fresh air
dumped into the corridors with the assumption that bathroom and kitchen
fans will  drag the air through  the carpet filter under the entrance
door.  Due to poor fitting windows, etc. the costs due to infiltration
(below the neutral plane and exfiltration about it) are tremendous.

If you are trying to simulate true effects of infiltration, you will need
to get ahold of some papers dealing with measurements in existing buildings.

Chris Jones, P. Eng.
14 Oneida Avenue
Toronto, ON M5J 2E3
Tel. 416 203-7465