Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Transient simulation of building structure and indoor air

I would not say that the transfer function method is inappropriate.  It is well tested method of using higher math to obtain the thermal and moisture transfer quantities of an assembly without bothering with small details in finite element calculations.  In numerical simulations such as Energy+ transfer functions run much faster.  A finite element method (WUFI) brings you down to little pieces with simpler math (good for simple minds like mine who grew up programming this stuff), but you expend a lot more effort in repetitive calculation to get good results.  I dare say without computers we would not do much accurate finite element modeling, but we have a long history of hand calculating with transfer functions, just look at the ASHRAE Handbook methods for load calculations.

Ned Lyon

Senior Staff Engineer
Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc.

41 Seyon Street
Building #1, Suite 500
Waltham, MA  02453

Phone:  781-907-9000
Fax:  781-907-9009

>>> chenzhuo_99@xxxxxxxxx 01/17/03 03:47PM >>>

Turn flat surfaces into speakers with the Soundbug.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWAVSC/onCFAA/xGHJAA/dkFolB/TM