Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] relative/worldcoordinatesystem

Li:  See answers below.  Mike

On 4 Mar 2003, at 5:24, zl21e zl21e@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello, Everyone,
> I have some questions about the relative/worldcoordinatesystem.
>
> For relative coordinate system, each zone origin coordinates are
> specified relative to the buiding origin (which is 0,0,0).  Every
> surface vertice's coordinates in that zone are relative to the zone
> origin coordinates.  For world coordinate system, all zone origin
> coordinates are (0,0,0). Every vertice's coordinates are absolute
> coordinates to (0,0,0). Is that right?

Yes, that is correct.  In addition, with relative coordinates, the
building north axis field becomes active.

> In the sample file s1r3DD.idf, relative coordinate system is used.
> However, all zone origin coordinates are (0,0,0). Every vertice's
> coordinates are absolute coordinates to (0,0,0). Is it the same as
> world coordinate system?

It is almost the same.  With relative coordinates, the building north
axis could be applied.  With world coordinates, it cannot.  (By the
way, s1r3DD is quite old, you may need to upgrade versions.)

> In the sample file VAVSingleDuctReheat.idf, world coordinate system is
> used.  However,  each zone origin coordinates are specified relative
> to the buiding origin (which is 0,0,0). Every vertice's coordinates
> are still absolute coordinates to (0,0,0). Why does this happen?

When daylighting is used, the coordinates for the daylighting
reference points are always relative to the zone origin.  If using
world coordinates, the zone origins may be left at (0,0,0) and then
the daylighting reference points would effectively be in world
coordinates.  Or, the surfaces could be in world coordinates with non-
zero zone origins, as in this example.  In this case, daylighting
reference points would be in relative coordinates.  In this
particular example, daylighting is not used, so there is no real
reason for non-zero zone origins, but it does not affect the results.
 (Not all of our examples represent the best practice.)

> Thank you!
>
> Sincerely,
> Li Zhang
> Department of Mechanical Engineering