Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Geometry

1.  Remember that EnergyPlus uses material thickness only to
determine the conduction transfer functions.  Otherwise, walls have
no thickness for shading and they have the same surface area on the
inside and outside.  I would use center-line dimensions to get the
correct amount of thermal mass and a good compromise on exterior and
interior surface area.  Ideally you should do a sensitivity on this,
but that would be a lot of work.  Perhaps ask at bldg-sim for advice
on modeling thick walls.

2.  The calculated room volume will only be correct if you use inside
dimensions, but you can override this by specifying the desired
volume in the ZONE object.  Volume only affects the capacitance of
the zone air mass which is a very small effect.

3.  Sorry, no examples with dormers.

Mike

On 27 Aug 2003, at 16:04, Jeb Blakeley wrote:

> I am modeling a building with insulated concrete form ICF
> construction.  The walls are 1' 2-1/8" thick and the room is 24' x 36'
> so the thickness is significant.
>
> 1. Can I use the outside building dimensions for entering the
> geometry?
> 2. Will this maintain the correct volume inside the building?
>
> 3. There are dormer windows on this building.  Do you have any
> example files for entering this complicated geometry?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeb Blakeley

> ---------------------~--> Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your
> HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders
> $50 or more to the US & Canada.
> http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
> http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/dkFolB/TM

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:
>
> Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the
> appropriate folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.
>

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support