Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Thermostat/Controller/Manager difference

Answers to questions below.

1.  Yes.

2.  Yes.

3.  Yes.

4.  I am not sure about this.  If the controller is present but no
setpoint manager,  then a fatal error will terminate the run due to
the undefined setpoint.  If there is no controller present, the coil
does not operate at all, and no warnings or errors are triggered.

5.  No.  You must always have a setpoint manager in order to
establish a setpoint for the controller, even if this setpoint is a
constant value.

Mike

On 3 Oct 2003, at 18:46, waspoorboy wrote:

> ZONE CONTROL:Thermostatic
> CONTROLLER:SIMPLE
> Set Point Manager
>
> For Purchased Air, WindowAC, Unitary Sys, Furnace w/DX,
> ZONE CONTROL:Thermostatic tells the zone equipment
> when it should be available, ie. on/off.
>
> Q1(Y/N):ZONE CONTROL:Thermostatic doesn't tell the zone
> equipment whether it should run at 30% or 70% capacity.
> Actually, zone equip always run at 100% capacity when "ON".
> E+ determines % capacity by Runtime Fraction in the timestep.
> That's why we have HVAC,"Average",DX cooling rate.
>
> Q2(Y/N):For Purchased Air,WindowAC,UnitarySys,Furnace w/DX,
> ZONE CONTROL:Thermostatic is sufficient for control,
> CONTROLLER:SIMPLE & Set Point Manager are not needed.
> The reason is that there's no "Plant" in these cases.
>
> Q3(Y/N):Now I upgrade my HVAC to single duct VAV:no reheat.
> only ZONE CONTROL:Thermostatic is now "not" sufficient.
> It controls only the VAV terminal box (and the VAV Fan)
> but not the Coil.
>
> Q4(Y/N):The cooling coil has to be controlled.
> If we don't control it, E+ assumes the chilled water
> runs at max flow all the time.
>
> Q5(Y/N):I use Purchased:Chilled Water for the Coil,
> I don't need Set Point Manager if supply air temp = const.
> Set Point Manager comes in when I want to reset
> the supply air temp.
>
> Thanks for helping clearify the concept.
>
> Thanks Mike for helping with many previous questions.
> Ming

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:
>
> Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the
> appropriate folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.
>

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support