Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] air cross-mixing

You are correct that improper use of MIXING objects can violate conservation of
energy.  The original intent of the MIXING objects was to model flow from one
space to another to another with the assumption that infiltration or an HVAC
system imbalance was driving the flow to go through the zones and out the final
zone as exfiltration.  You should be able to use opposing MIXING objects to
accomplish what you want, but I have not tested this.

Mike

On 16 Jan 2004, at 13:33, Simon Gowland wrote:

> Hello,
>      I am trying to add cross-mixing of air between
> zones into a building. The limitations of cross-mixing
> i.e. not being able to link multiple zones  prevents
> me from using it where I have a hallway with 2
> bedrooms and a living space adjacent to it. Because of
> this, I have to use the standard mixing function which
> does not affect energy balances of the source zones.
> Does this not generate 'false energy' within a
> simulation? If another mixing function is added in
> reverse to link the two zones, would it be fair to say
> that the flow rates would have to be identical to keep
> the energy balances somewhat accurate?
>
> Confused?
>
> Simon Gowland
>
> http://personals.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Personals
> New people, new possibilities. FREE for a limited time.

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> in the Files are of the Support Web Site.
>

>  -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are of the
>  Support Web Site.
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

>  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx

 -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: