From: Frederick Winkelmann [mailto:FCWinkelmann@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 2:51 PM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] question about Window 5

  Ned is right. The safest approach is to match the WINDOW 5 window size and
EnergyPlus window size should match within 10%.
  That is the window heights should agree to 10% and the widths to 10%. Note
that the window height and width used in the
  EnergyPlus calculation are determined from the window vertices in the
EnergyPlus input file; they are NOT the height and
  width on the WINDOW 5 file.

  Also, in EnergyPlus the calculated height and width are those of the
glazed part of the window and exclude the frame. The
  height and width on the WINDOW 5 data file also exclude the frame, so are
consistent with the EnergyPlus definition.
  HOWEVER, I believe that when you run WINDOW 5 the height and width you
enter INCLUDES THE FRAME the frame -- will verify.

  Fred Winkelmann

  Edward Lyon wrote:

  > You should change the size of the window in WINDOW 5 and recalculate it
  > before using it in EnergyPlus.  You should not have to recalculate the
  > frame elements to do this.  EnergyPlus is reading detailed information
  > for transparent and opaque sections of the window from the WINDOW 5
  > file.  The warning is reasonable because changing the size of the window
  > changes the relative contibution of individual component contributions
  > to the thermal performance.  Small windows do not have the same U-Value
  > as larger windows made from identical components because they have more
  > edge and frame area relative to center of glass.  I recall some
  > discussionn in the manual for EnergyPlus about what happens when the
  > specified WINDOWS 5 window sizes do not match EnergyPlus winndow size.
  >
  > Ned Lyon
  >
  > Senior Project Manager
  > Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc.
  >
  > 41 Seyon Street
  > Building #1, Suite 500
  > Waltham, MA  02453
  >
  > Phone:  781-907-9000
  > Fax:  781-907-9009

  > http://www.energyplus.gov
  >
  > The group web site is:
  >
  > Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate
folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.

  >  -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are of
the Support Web Site.

  > Yahoo! Groups Links

  >  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

  Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate
folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.

  -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are of the
Support Web Site.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

 -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: