Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Construction of Curtain Wall with OpenableWindows

Ned,

You are right -- COMIS natural ventilation is unaware of what the mechanical system is doing and vice-versa. "Hybrid
ventilation," in which the controls for natural and mechanical ventilation are coordinated, is planned for a future version
of EnergyPlus.

Fred Winkelmann

Edward Lyon wrote:

> Probably the simplest way to model detailed window properties is to
> create your windows using WINDOW 5 and THERM 5.  You can then use the E+
> import link for WINDOW output.
>
> The COMIS infiltration model will allow you to open windows on some
> type of schedule.  However, you need to be aware that COMIS ventilation
> and any mechanical system ventilation you model are not integrated.  I
> also don't think you can easily write a schedule that says something
> like I will open the windows until my zone goes out of temperature set
> point at which time I will close the windows and turn on the AC.   The
> automatic controls available to you seem to be designed for a type of
> automated window operation using temperature and energy considerations.
> I did not see any links in the programs that would transfer control to a
> mechanical system if conditions go out of range.  I have recently
> considered such a model and concluded that I would have to do a lot of
> manual scheduling and several trial runs to refine the schedule.
>
> The current COMIS link is nice, but I expect there are others who are
> also waiting for further refinements in the integration of COMIS and
> mechanical ventilation systems.
>
> Ned Lyon
>
> Senior Project Manager
> Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc.
>
> 41 Seyon Street
> Building #1, Suite 500
> Waltham, MA  02453
>
> Phone:  781-907-9000
> Fax:  781-907-9009

> Hi, all:
>
> Could you tell me that how can I model the curtain wall with openable
> windows?
>
> How can I define the layers of construction? Using the window glass
> material?
> How can I defien the divider between glazing?
> How can I defien the openrable windows within the curtain wall?
>
> Is there anybody can me a example file in .idf or .idd format ?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> David Tian
>
> Do you Yahoo!?

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:
>
> Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate
> folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.
>
> -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are of
> the Support Web Site.
>
> Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:
>
> Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.
>
>  -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/dkFolB/TM

 -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.