Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Properties of roof sheets

The EnergyPlus datasets are primarily based on ASHRAE Handbook data which gives
very little guidance regarding thermal emissivity and solar absorpance.  In the
datasets, the thermal emissivity is 0.9 for all materials.  Beware of using
values for "new" galvanized steel.  Things weather and get dirty, so the new
value does not apply for the long term.

The Florida Solar Energy Center (FSEC) has published several reports regarding
roof properties and their effect on cooling loads.  A list of publications may
be found at:

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/bldg/resources/publications/index.htm

Two especially pertinent reports are:

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/bldg/pubs/cr670/index.htm - Lots of measured property
data

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/bldg/pubs/cr1336/cr1336.htm - Table 1 lists solar
reflectances for six new and weathered materials

Ned and Agas, would you please send me citations for the sources you are using
for property data?

Mike

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support