RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] cooling load

I bet that the ground floor slab is acting like a source of cooling in an otherwise free floating building.  Check that the ground temperatures are reasonable.  If you want better ground temperature values, you could run slab.exe with the interior temperatures found in the first simulation.

-----Original Message-----
From: zhen tian [mailto:tianzhen9@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 10:04 AM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] cooling load

Hi, Rahul:

I underatnd the cooling load in the upper floor will increase with added insulation because the insulation will be the barrier which prevents the heat going out.

But I can not understand why the cooling load in the groud floor goes down with added insulation in the upper floor roof.

Thank you.

Zhen

Rahul Chillar <chillarrahul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tek
this is what is happening.
Outside temperature is higher than inside, your insulation provides a barrier for heat to go from outside to inside, this makes perfect sense.
Now the building heats up all day in sun , its temperature rises.
The building is hot enougth and now needs to dissipate heat , The insulation Blocks the heat from going out. This makes sense too.

Now what is happening is ,that  when the building is trying to cool Or lets talk each floor is trying to cool>>
Ground Floor is trying to Cool: It dissipates the heat to ground floor ceiling which then goes into the upper floor zone. So upper floor gets heat from lower floor and this lower floor ceiling is obviously not insulated so there is nothing to block the heat being dissipated from ground to upper floor.

Now
Upper Floor is trying to cool: It has heat from lower floor + its own heat which it tries to dissipate and now there is insulation on the upper floor ceiling (your roof) , THIS insulation will block the heat going out from upper floor , so there will be an increase in the COOLING LOAD for upper floor.

What you need to do is to vary the insulation parameters and find an optimum which can get you the lowest cooling load .

This is the a wonderful capability of the E+ to vary the parameter and see the effects which you should try.

I have neglected the heat dissipation from the walls of the building , cause they are unaffected.

Window heat gain depends a lot on the window area compared to wall area , You may get more heat gain from window than the system cooling load requirment , because your walls will also radiate heat , convect heat to the enviornment outside. It is dependent quite a bit on outside enviornment conditions which you need to look at when this happens. Which hour / what is the temperature outside , wind speed etc.
Also just make sure you are comparing the same units for loads (and not comparing rate Watt vs Load Joule) thought i am sure you might have taken care of that.

Hope this helps
Thanks

Rahul Chillar
Graduate Research Assistant
Building Systems laboratory
University of Illinois U C.
Univerity of

teklay Weldeabzgi <teklay1979@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Rahul and Rohini you are right it may be the case.
but what i am confusing is, my building is a two story
(G+1) office building. when i see the results of the
simulation with and without insulation on the roof of
the upper floor of the building. the cooling load on
the ground zones decrease with insulation but for the
upper floor zones the cooling load increase with
insulation which seems an error.

another problem is on the window heat gain. does the
window heat gain directly sum up to the cooling load ?
if so in my report the window heat gain is greater
than the cooling load, why is this happens ?

< http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ahl4h4/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1089112586/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

< http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=894073014>

>   _____
>
>       Yahoo! Groups Links
>

>       *      To visit your group on the web, go to:

>       *      To unsubscribe from this group, send an
> email to:

>       *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> the Yahoo! Terms of Service
> < http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

> removed]

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:
>
> Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files
> to the appropriate folder in the Files area of the
> Support Web Site.
>

> Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

>    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
> Yahoo! Terms of Service.
>

> Thanks
> Rahul Chillar
> Grad Student