Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] question about Energy Recovery Ventilator: Stand Alone

The Stand Alone ERV is modeled as a piece of zone equipment and should
only be used with other zone equipment objects.  Stand alone actually
refers to the fact that it is not connected to an air loop.  For
instance, if you have a window AC unit (zone equipment) conditioning a
single zone you can also have a stand alone ERV connected to that zone.
This model can not be used with unitary equipment installed in an air
loop if the zone the stand alone ERV serves is connected to the
thermostat zone controlling the air loop equipment. You should be able
to connect it to any other zone connected to that air loop (except the
thermostat zone).  If you do this you will have to adjust (increase) the
supply air flow rate to this zone to pick up the additional load
contributed by the ERV.  If your modeling a school and the air loop does
not condition the gymnasium, then you can attach a stand alone ERV to
the gymnasium.

If all zones are connected to an air loop then use the Heat
Exchanger:Air to Air object connected to the air loop (e.g. supply side
of the heat exchanger in the air loop; exhaust side inlet node of the
heat exchanger connected to the relief air node of the outside air
system and exhausted to outdoors) to perform the energy recovery.  After
reading you other email message (shown below for reference), I believe
you are trying to simulate this configuration.  You can not include an
exhaust fan if you connect the exhaust side of the heat exchanger to the
outside air mixer relief node.  The flow rate of the relief node is set
by the outdoor air mixer object, not a fan.

You may try connecting all zone exhausts to a mixer and passing that air
stream through a fan and then through the exhaust side of the heat
exchanger.  You will probably be the first person to try this and I
would be interested to know how it turns out.

Good Luck.

Other email message:
I am modeling a single zone building with a unitary
system:blowthrough:heatcool. I have a air-air heat recovery to
recover the heat from the exhaust air. I have built a supply fan in
the unitary system. In addition, I want to have an exhaust fan. I am
not sure whether I can implement that in EnergyPlus or not.

zhaicq98 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not so sure that I understand the component ERV:stand alone. Can
> it be used together with other equipment such as unitary equipment?
> Does "stand alone" mean this is the only HVAC component for a zone?
>
> Thanks.

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:
>
> Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the
> appropriate folder in the Files area of the Support Web Site.
>

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129o20f17/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1090602415/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

Richard A. Raustad
Senior Research Engineer
Florida Solar Energy Center
University of Central Florida
1679 Clearlake Road
Cocoa, FL  32922-5703
Phone:   (321) 638-1454
Fax:     (321) 638-1439 or 1010
Visit our web site at: http://www.fsec.ucf.edu

UCF - From Promise to Prominence: Celebrating 40 Years