Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: COMIS & window transmitted solar

Modeling a completely open window is an interesting case.  The windoglass
material module requires certain checks to be valid.  My initial tests
generated several errors:

   ** Thermal transmittance + front thermal emissivity not < 1.0
   ** Thermal transmittance + back thermal emissivity not < 1.0
   ** Front solar reflectance not > 0.0 and < 1.0
   ** Back solar reflectance not > 0.0 and < 1.0
   ** Front visible reflectance not > 0.0 and < 1.0
   ** Back visible reflectance not > 0.0 and < 1.0
   ** Solar transmittance + front solar reflectance not < 1.0
   ** Solar transmittance + back solar reflectance not < 1.0
   ** Visible transmittance + front visible reflectance not < 1.0
   ** Visible transmittance + back visible reflectance not < 1.0

I finally ended up with this material:

MATERIAL:WINDOWGLASS,
 Open Air,        !- Name
 SpectralAverage, !- Optical Data Type
 ,                !- Name of Window Glass Spectral Data Set
 .001,            !- Thickness {m}
  .99998,         !- Solar Transmittance at Normal Incidence
  .00001,         !- Solar Reflectance at Normal Incidence: Front Side
  .00001,         !- Solar Reflectance at Normal Incidence: Back Side
  .99998,         !- Visible Transmittance at Normal Incidence
  .00001,         !- Visible Reflectance at Normal Incidence: Front Side
  .00001,         !- Visible Reflectance at Normal Incidence: Back Side
 .99998,          !- IR Transmittance at Normal Incidence
 .00001,          !- IR Hemispherical Emissivity: Front Side
 .00001,          !- IR Hemispherical Emissivity: Back Side
 .00001,          !- Conductivity {W/m-K}
 1,               !- Dirt Correction Factor for Solar and Visible Transmittance
 No;              !- Solar Diffusing

For the Chicago winter and summer design days, this results in an overall
transmittance of 0.989, reflectance of 0.0107, and absorptance of 0.0000176 for
most of the day.

Mike