Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Questions about Eplus

1)  Baseboard Heater:Water:Convective only adds convective heat to the zone
(there is no radiant component), so location does not matter.

2)  I believe the simulation requires that you have at least one surface in a
zone.  You can have a construction made of air only if you describe it as
Material:Regular or Material:Regular-R.  Material:Air is not valid as an
outside layer.  The question is what you want to accomplish with this zone?  A
construction made of air will only conduct heat, it will not mix air between
two zones.  In your case, you will need to describe at a minimum the floor and
ceiling (or roof) of the corridor, so that will satisfy the minimum surface
requirement, then add the internal mass.

Mike

On 3 Sep 2004, at 7:54, Joseph Lewis wrote:

> I have a few questions reguarding how Energy plus treats certain
> components/equipment.  I have poured over the input output reference and the
> engineering document and have not come across definitive answers.
>
> 1) The Zone Equipment component  Baseboard Heater:Water:Convective,  If and how
> does energy plus model the location of the baseboard heater?  Is it similar to
> the Radiant high/low System  where location is not specified but instead it is
> the percentage of incident radiation on the surrounding surfaces? If it is
> similar to the Radiant systems how do I control where in the zone it is?
>
> 2)  Does a Zone have to be associated with a group of heat transfer surfaces? If
> it does, is energy plus okay with the surface construction being just air?  I am
> interested in having a zone nested within the zone space and do not want to have
> to define all the surfaces if I can get away with it.
>
> Just to put these questions in context,  I am working to build a model of a
> local school.  Currently I have the envalope of the building put in, and per
> some of the previous postings I have read on here, I was going to define the
> internal walls as part of the internal mass,  but there is a seperate air
> distribution system servicing the corridors with it's own VAV box on a seperate
> control loop that I cannot ignore.  I want to just define a seperate zone for
> this area, but if I specify interior walls I am concerned that the way the
> baseboard heat is defined in energy plus, it will assume baseboard elements go
> around the entire zone perimeter  including walls shared by other zones.
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
> Joseph Lewis
> Engineer's Assistant

> http://www.energyplus.gov