Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Forcing system behavior

The point is well-taken that there are currently no diagnostics to warn when
equipment is not meeting setpoints at either the zone or component level.  Some
such reporting is planned for the coming year.

Autosizing of multiple systems serving the same zone is not supported, and
probably will not be anytime soon.

For this particular application, the zone is served by a combination of a VAV
system and radiant panels.  This is one of the most difficult situations to
model in EnergyPlus (but you already have learned that the hard way).  There
are two types of hydronic radiant panels:  LOW TEMP RADIANT SYSTEM:HYDRONIC
(which is autosizable) and LOW TEMP RADIANT SYSTEM:CONSTANT FLOW (which is not
autosizable).  In this case, it is possible to autosize the entire VAV system,
even though the radiant hydronic system is user-specified.  The calculation is
from ZONE SIZING through SYSTEM SIZING, then the plant loops will add up all of
the coil flows.  The problem is that the sizing algorithm for the VAV system
does not know that another system is serving the same zone.  So, it will
autosize the VAV system to meet the entire load.  Perhaps the following
approach would help in tackling this problem:

1.  Fully autosize the VAV system.

2.  Run with the radiant hydronic system as priority 1.

3.  Review the results to determine the peak supply air volume flow from the
VAV system.  The VAV boxes should max out at something less than full flow if
the radiant hydronic system is contributing to meet the zone load.

4.  Specify that peak volume flow (or something a little larger) in the ZONE
SIZING object and let the rest of the VAV system autosize off that.

5.  Let the plant loop autosize also.

Mike