Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Condensation Problem

Comments from the radiant system expert . . .  Mike

It looks like this is really two separate issues--one regarding thermal
mass and one regarding splitting zones.  With respect to the thermal mass
addition, the best thing to do would be to have Zhen check his internal
mass description (thickness and exposed area).  If the mass is too large,
there is at least the potential for a variety of different effects, several of
which could conceivably cause a condensation problem.  Improper definition of
internal mass is something I've seen first-hand in another project and the
results can be somewhat strange.

As far as splitting things up goes, it sounds like in the second case the
loads caused by outside conditions are concentrated into a smaller area
with less tubing--the likely result if nothing is changed is that you will get
higher temperatures, how high depends on a lot of other variables.  In
counteracting that, Zhen increased the flow rate--but that is going to
ultimately drop the temperature of the slab which could then result in
condensation problems.  I'm not sure what he means by "it doesn't work"--does
that mean he gets more condensation warnings?  That would be logical from a
physical standpoint.

I don't know if this helps or not.  Condensation is a difficult thing to
overcome in a radiant cooling system.  Sometimes, the condensation warning are
really telling the user that he needs to consider an alternative system.