From: Michael J. Witte [mailto:mjwitte@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 3:43 PM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] 100% Outside

The limitation in the current software is that there can only be one
return
node per zone.  So, a zone can be served by multiple systems, but only
one of
those systems can be an air loop with a return path.  The other
system(s) must
be zone equipment (not on an AIR PRIMARY LOOP) which uses supply and
exhaust
nodes.  The reason for this is that the current structure does not have
adequate information to determine how to divide the total return flow
from a
zone among multiple return air nodes.

Mike

On 8 Feb 2005, at 16:14, Edward Lyon wrote:

> So if the structure of the program wants a return, why not provide one
for your
> outside airflow study?  The return can go to a mixing box set for 100%
exhaust.
> I don't think you have to have an energy penalty for the return duct
flow.

> In the distant future when COMIS and mechanical systems can be
combined, it
> might be nice to just supply air to a space and have it return/exhaust
where it
> finds a place.  I think the bigger problem that should have more
development
> attention now is modeling a common mechanical system design with
several
> supplies to different spaces (zones), but only one common return point
(zone).
> This is a typical small house or apartment system where supply from
one zone
> must flow through a second (third or fourth sometimes) zone to get to
the
> return.  Mixing and cross mixing doesn't really do the job to simulate
this
> design.  We might have more efficient small house designs if we could
study this
> system to determine better zone flow balances or thermostat
placement....

> Ned Lyon, Senior Project Manager
>
> Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc.
> 41 Seyon Street, Bldg 1 Suite 500
> Waltham, Massachusetts  02453
>
> 781-907-9350
>
> ________________________________

<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129pslgo8/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/
D=group

s/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1107974068/A=2532114/R=2/SIG=12ki81kc1/*http://clk
.atdmt.
>  com/NFX/go/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=1107887668146011>

be>

> *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service
> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:
>
> Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the
appropriate folder

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx

Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate
folder in the Files area of the Support Web Site.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129b8h1lc/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/
D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1108155726/A=2532114/R=2/SIG=12kt5qhqq/*htt
p://clk.atdmt.com/NFX/go/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=110806932
6437675>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=group
s/S=:HM/A=2532114/rand=431887938>