Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Weather Converter

Hello Linda,

I thank you very much for your fast reply. And I'll take the opportunity to clarify 2 things about the weather file.

1) I couldn't find anything for missing dewpoint temperature values in the documentation. There is only a value for it in the Missing Weather File Data Section (assigned as 3) but I suppose I cannot use it because the csv section ends with the following statement " Each data item field obeys the same "missing" rules as shown above in the EPW data layout" (so I'm using missing values according to what is specified in the epw section of the documentation) As there is no reference to missing values for dewpoint temperatures in the epw section of the manual I ask you the question again.

2) Yes I do have rainfal data, so do I assign 9 for the Present Weather Observation field anyway?

I will check my csv file using an example epw file converted using the weather converter - I suppose this will be fine, do you agree?

One more question just to finish, I'm inputing data for every 30 min. but I know ESP-r and Ecotect need hourly data, would it be possible to use the weather Converter to transform this input file into an hourly weather file? Or I can only do this inside E+? Just to check because if it's the case I'll transform my file into an hourly file before using the weather converter.

Thank you again for the help.

Best regards,

Clarice

Linda Lawrie <linda@xxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
At 12:17 PM 5/12/2005, Clarice Bleil de Souza wrote:

>I have downloaded the E+ V1.2.2 and I've taken a look at the auxiliary
>programs - weather converter. I noticed that there is a custom format but
>as it uses a Fortran "Namelist" input field and I'm not familiarized with
>this I decided to use the .csv, which I can build in an Excell spreadsheet.

Too bad -- it requires no knowledge of the namelist input, I think, and I
think it is pretty well described.

>Anyway, I have some missing data and I need to assign them some values,
>I've taken a look at the documentation but I couldn't find a missing value
>to assign to:
>
>1) Dew Point temperatures - I have Relative Humidity values and Dry Bulb
>Temperatures do I calculate the DewPoint temperature from the values I
>have or do I assign this field as missing, (in this case using which
>value?), and the weather converter will calculate it?

Assign it missing value.  (look at the IDD description for the EPW format
or whatever format you are using as an input format -- that will be the
missing value you need to place there).

>2) Present weather Observation - I don't have data for this field and I
>know that 9 is assumed as missing but as I have rainfall data and a
>missing field will imply "no rain" I'm not sure about what to assign to
>this field.

Do you have hourly rainfall data?  Personally, to get your values going, I
would put in all 9's in the field.

>3) Present Weather Codes -  Also I don't have data to this field and I'm
>not sure if it will not interfere with rainfall data so I don't know
>exactly how to fill it. What would be the missing value for it?

These are described in the TMY2 manual -- I thought I had put them in the
weather converter auxiliary programs description but perhaps for the
interim release.  (which will be soon)

>Apart from, that I would like to check if I specified the 3 following
>field  correctly:
>
>DESIGN CONDITIONS,0 (I want to use what is recomended by the ASHRAE
>Handbook, but in a later stage not now)
>TYPICAL/EXTREME PERIODS,0
>GROUND TEMPERATURES,0 (I may use the Ground Heat Transfer tool in a later
>stage)
>HOLIDAYS/DAYLIGHT SAVINGS,No,0,0,0

Those inputs are fine.  If you put in the correct WMO for your station
(LOCATION header record/value record), the program will try to find it in
the ASHRAE locations.

Remember that the CSV format is very specific and needs extra headers to
describe the next lines.  If nothing else, start from an existing CSV file
for a different location.

Linda

EnergyPlus WebSite: http://www.energyplus.gov
Owner: EnergyPlus_Support list