Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] CompactVAV system Heating Coil not sizing

The main problem here is that the zone min flow rates are set to zero, and the
system min flow rate is set to autosize, which then becomes zero.  For a single
duct system, the heating coil sizing routine assumes that the heating coil will
be active at the min flow rate, so it sees no flow and sizes to zero capacity.

A couple of issues:

1.  I am guessing that during heating operation you want the VAV dampers in
each zone to modulate to control the zone temperature.  The VAV terminal units
will only do this is the zone dampe heating action is set to REVERSE ACTION.
And, due to limitations in the current model, reverse action only works for VAV
terminal units with a hot water reheat coil.  You may be able to get the
operation you desire by specifying hot water reheat, reverse action, and then
setting the reheat coil availability schedule to zero at all times.

2.  The Compact HVAC sizing inputs are not set up for this type of system (I
will add some suggestions to the list of possible enhancements).  You will need
to take the expidf file and modify the SYSTEM SIZING object to specify the
"Central heating design supply air temperature" as 43.333 and the "minimum
system air flow ratio" as 1.0.  I think this will produce the desired result.

Mike

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx