RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Help in using Energy Plus

Dear Maurizio

In answer to your questions:

a) You can't directly specify a wall boundary temperature in DesignBuilder,
but you could set up zones surrounding your zone of interest and condition
the temperature in the surrounding zones to the temperature required.... Or
you can generate the basic IDF data using DesignBuilder and setup
temperature boundary conditions for each surface in your zone by working
directly with the IDF data using the OtherSideCoeff option. Future versions
of DesignBuilder will allow allow temperature boundary conditions to be set
directly.

b) Yes it is possible to draw perimeter walls of different thickness, but
each block has perimeter walls of the same thickness.  I.e. it is not
possible to draw a block with one face having one thickness and another face
a different thickness.  To change the thickness of the external perimeter
wall, type in the wall thickness in the drawing options dialog in the bottom
left *before* you start the draw block command.  You cannot change to the
thickness of the block perimeter walls once they have been drawn in current
versions.  Note that the thickness of the walls in the 3-D DesignBuilder
model does not affect the thermal properties of the wall.  This is governed
by the construction associated with the wall surface. But the thickness of
the wall will affect the volume of air in the zone and therefore the
ventilation heat loss/gain.

c) You can draw thermal bridges such as concrete lintels and columns in
DesignBuilder by going to the surface level using the draw surface tool.
You can draw as many opaque subsurfaces as you want in this way, but they
will all have the same construction (as defined on the constructions tab
under the subsurfaces header).

d) Yes you can use DesignBuilder to create EnergyPlus IDF files and then
modify it directly in EnergyPlus.  Be aware that you cannot import any
changes you make to the IDF file back into DesignBuilder.

e) Take a look at the user interface section on the EnergyPlus web site for
more information on the various user interfaces available for EnergyPlus.

It's probably best if you send your DesignBuilder related questions directly
to the DesignBuilder support desk in future:

support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Best regards
Andy
Andy Tindale, DesignBuilder Software Ltd.
Palace Chambers, 41 London rd, Stroud,
Gloucestershire, GL5 2AJ, UK
Tel: +44 (0) 1453 755500
Email: andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx