[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Comparable Comfort

Hello

I am an enginnering masters student in University College Dublin.
I am about to start a series of simulation studies relating to
thermal mass in office buildings.

I am hoping to asses the energy perormance of a naturally ventilated
office building as a function of different construction types (of
increasing weight). Each construction will have the same U-value.

In order to properly rank the annual energy perfomance provided by
the different constructions I feel that I should try and normalise
out the comfort conditions experienced in each case. ie. I would
like each building to be equally comfortable before comparing the
buildings associated energy perfomance.I will probably measure
annual comfort using a PMV or PPD index, (possibly "PMVhrs Too Hot"
and "PMVhrs Too Cold").

At the moment I am looking at winter time heating perfomance, and as
expected the "PMVhrs Too Cold" is increasing with increasing thermal
mass, mainly as a function of the low radiant temperatures which are
experienced following a period of night-setback. I can normalise
for "PMVhrs Too Cold" by manually using different dry bulb
temperature setpoints prior to simulation, untill comparable heating
comfort results are produced, but this is taking a long time.

Does anybody know if there is a better way to do this?

Can radiant temperature setpoints be used instead of dry-bulb
temperature setpoints in E-plus?

Or would it even be possible to control a buildings heating system
so that a PMV of zero is always acheived?

I would be interested to know if this would be technically possible
and if anybody has tried to do something similar in the past.

Best Wishes

Rory Walsh
Energy Research Group
University College Dublin