[EnergyPlus_Support] Comparable Comfort

Rick and Andy

Thanks for setting me on the right path.

Originally I thought I would be able to investigate the effects of
thermal mass without having to specify a heating/cooling system.
However if specifying a system allows me to ensure similar comfort
conditions are provided when different construction are used then I
think this might be worth trying.

The office buidlings I am looking at are heated using hot water
which is supplied to large radiators from a gas boiler. I would like
to specify a comparable system in energyplus.

Base-board units would be a close match but "operative Temperature
Control" is not available with this system.

If I were to specify a low temperature hydronic system. I would have
to associate it with a surface in the zone.I am worried that this
might be too invasive.
I really want to see how the internal surface temperatures of
different constructions react, as a function of heating schedules,
occupancy periods, internal gains, ventilation rates etc... Would
embedding a heat generating system not result in a situation where
my internal surface was driving internal air temperatures instead of
reacting to them?
Is there anyway I could implement this option without using any of
the six surfaces which typically define a rectangular zone.

Would a high temperature radiant system be more suitable as it does
not need to be associated with a surface within the zone? Is there
any way to include a convective contribution from this type of
equipment?

Look forward to your suggestions

Thanks

Rory