Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] zoning

I am not sure which particular portion of the University Course you are
referring to, but the intent is certainly not to encourage a zone for every
terminal unit.

As Linda mentioned earlier, there are many philosophies and approaches to
zoning.  One approach is to start with one zone, then determine what portions
of the building are significantly different based on:  setpoints, internal load
intensity, schedules, solar gains, equipment type.  Also consider that a zone
does not have to be a contiguous set of rooms, and a zone can span vertically
across floors as well as horizontally.

For your building, if all spaces have similar internal gains and similar
schedules, then consider 20 zones:

Ground floor:  N, S, E, W, and core
Floors 2, and 4-6:   N, S, E, W, and core (be sure to add internal surfaces or
internal mass to reflect the mass of the ceiling/floor constructions)
Floor 3:   N, S, E, W, and core (you said this floor has different type of
equipment)
Floor 7:    N, S, E, W, and core

The numbers of zones per floor (or group of floors) is dependent on the shape
of the building.  A long narrow building may be adequate to have 2 zones per
floor.  An H-shaped building may need more than 5 depending on the varying
timing of solar loads throughout the day.

Mike

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx