Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] zoning

Dear Linda,
I read the documentation you mentioned about zoning,
but still that does not solve my problem.
Actually I want to calculate two things.

1.Energy consumption of the entire 7-storey
building(each storey with 2 air handlers and each air
handler takes care of approximately 14 rooms(all rooms
are at same set point temperature) and each room with
its own air terminal unit(SINGLE DUCT VAV REHEAT)).
2.Energy consumption of space in the third storey
which is being taken care by an air handling unit.

In E+ documentation of energy plus university course,
I read that  spaces to which an air terminal unit(VAV
single duct reheat) is attached must be considered a
single zone. In that case I am afraid that I have to
consider each room to which an air terminal unit is
attached as a sinle zone which makes my input file
quite complex.
Please help me in zonning this building.
thanks in advance
kiran
University of Arkansas.

--- Linda Lawrie <linda@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

---------------------------------

>EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open
EPlusMainMenu.idf and
>press the "search" button.

Putting "zoning" in the search leads to a good article
in Gettting
Started (page 31 of the PDF).

There are several philosphies about zoning, there is
not necessarily
a "right" answer.  For example, if each story has a
large floor area,
you may want to zone it with perimeter zones and a
central/core
zone.  (Our "5Zone" example files illustrate this).
On the other
hand, you may be able to zone each floor as a single
zone.  The
inaccuracies introduced are discussed in the section I
mentioned in
GettingStarted.   And you may be able to use
zone/group multipliers
so that you would only have to describe one interior
story and the
exterior/roof story.

It does depend a lot on what kind of answers you want
from the simulation.

Linda

EnergyPlus WebSite: http://www.energyplus.gov
Owner: EnergyPlus_Support list
Member: EnergyPlus Development Team

Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files
to the appropriate folder in the Files area of the
Support Web Site.

EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open
EPlusMainMenu.idf and press the "search" button.

Medical software program
     Email software program
        Backup software program
                                        Maintenance