[EnergyPlus_Support] E+ runtime speed

I?m looking at transitioning from Energy-10 to EnergyPlus. I often need the
ability to model a building in more detail, and more thermal mass accuracy.
However, E+ is Slooooow. Obviously E+ is much more sophisticated and E-10
only models a rectangular shoebox. But when E-10 can simulate a simple
building in 30 seconds for the whole year, while E+ takes 50 minutes, it
becomes painful to iterate the design a dozen times.

Three questions:

1.      Does E+ have a ?shoebox mode? where is lumps every thing into a
simplified building? I know it has an option to lump windows, but from what
I?ve seen this is not enough.
2.      I noticed that Running without HVAC was MUCH faster. What are best
settings to speed up the HVAC code?
3.      If I get a new 4 processor computer, is E+ written to efficiency
take advantage of multiple processors? Are there any benchmarks?

Troy Harvey