Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: use in education

Barry,

  Thanks a lot. Your answer is a really good contribution to my work. See if I am correct, I will teach my students how to work with Ecotect, I am planning on beginning simulations with very simple models to more complex ones. By the middle of the semester I will ask them to simulate one of their projects and make some improvements on it based on the simulation results, I believe this way they would feel more enthusiastic about the capabilities of the simulation tool.

  I would appreciate if you could send me the exercises you had on your class, I am wiling on learning Energy Plus as well.

  Thanks again,
  Simone Delbin.

zorba2pi <barryaw@xxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
  Simone,

I am currently a grad student at Oklahoma State University.  Since the
first day I started my masters here I have been using building
simulation tools.  I personally think my experience with simulation
tools has been very helpful and gotten me to learn more about just how
much goes into building energy calculations (before I started with all
of these simulations, I had just had a bunch of thermodynamic classes
and a baby heat transfer class).

Here are a couple of the things I have done:

We are doing work on the IEA Annex #46.  This project is a very large
energy conservation effort.  We are basically trying to figure out
what technologies would actually save a building money (we are doing a
full economical analysis). Our part of this project is being done
completely in EnergyPlus.  We have a couple of grad students and a
couple undergrads working on this project, all have had to learn E+
really quick.  The undergrad haven't had heat transfer yet, so they
are probably in the same boat as your architectural students.

My first semester here we had to do model development in HVACSIM+.
HVACSIM+ was originally created by NIST but OSU has expanded it
greatly and added a decent interface.  Although HVACSIM+ can do full
building simulations we only used it for component simulation.

In a class this semester we are learning Energyplus (although a couple
of us already know it from our research).  The way my professor is
teaching it I think is really good.  The first assignment was pretty
simple, but hard enough to make the students actually think about how
to get something to work.  Now, that everyone has a basic
understanding of E+ he has given everyone a small project for IEA
Annex, so that people will be forced to figure out how to change/add
to a model, etc.

My advance on teaching simulation software is this:  Go over it in
class, given people some simple base files to get started with and
then move on to larger inputs or making them build their own model.  I
learned HVACSIM+ in a class and it was horrible, the professor really
never tried to teach how to use or really how it worked.  Then he
excepted use to be able to use it for all of our homework and do
development in it.  He wouldn't ever really help anyone and as a
result there were people that never got good results from running it
and never even got the source code to compile.  So I guess my main
point here is this:  If you want them to learn a simulation tool
expect to put a ton of effort into teaching it to them.  If you aren't
willing to really help them and there is no one around that can help
them you can expect to have horrible results (the class I learned
HVACSIM+ in we started with 11 people, 6 dropped the class 2 of which
left graduate program because of the class, of the 5 people left only
two could really run and compile the program).

Sorry if this is a longer response than you were looking for.  If you
would like you can e-mail me and I'll send you the assignment my
professor used to teach Energyplus.

Barry

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Simone Delbin"
<sdelbin@...> wrote:

> I am a master student doing my thesis on building simulation tools for
> educational purpose, with architectural students.
>
> Did any of you use a building simulation tool for educational
purpose? If
> yes can you make any comments on your experience? I am also willing to
> know colleges are using building simulation tools in educational
matters.

> Thanks for you attention,
> Sincerely,
> Miss Simone Delbin.
> School of Civil Engineering, Architecture and Urban Design
> State University of Campinas
> UNICAMP
> (55-19)3386-0195

        Cad software program   Backup software program   Wedding program software     Medical software program   Email software program   Maintenance program software

      Arq. Simone Delbin
Aluna de Mestrado
   Faculdade de Engenharia Civil, Arquitetura e Urbanismo