Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Internal Window Errors

Add "report, surfaces, details;" to the input file.  This is crucial for
checking geometry.  I creates a list of all surfaces with area, azimuth, and
tilt in the eio output file.  It's comma-separated, so open it in excel, or
paste it in and use "text to columns" to split it across cells.  (Or, take
MyBuilding.eio, rename it to MyBuilding.eio.csv and double-click on it.  But if
you do this, you have to remember to redo this after you run a new simulation.)

Interzone surfaces are always described in pairs, one in each zone, facing
opposite directions, and if the construction is not symmetrical, with reversed
construction layers.

The area mismatch errors are bad.  They mean the interzone surface in zone A is
not the same size as it's companion in zone B.  Probably a typo in the
OutsideFaceEnvironment object field?

The window errors construction errors are because the OutsideFaceEnvironment
object has been left blank.  An interzone subsurface must be described twice,
once in each zone, and the two subsurfaces must reference each other, the same
way that the base surfaces do.  This should be generating a different error
message - I will check into that.

The azimuth errors mean the two surfaces are not facing in opposite directions.

There is a recently discovered bug in this regard - if you have a horizontal
interzone subsurface, this may produce false errors.  But the errors are real
for vertical surfaces and subsurfaces and for horizontal base surfaces.

GetHTSubSurfaceData: Subsurfaces have too much area for base surface - This
means that the sum of the subsurface areas is greater than the total area of
the base surface.

One suggestion to help simplify this model.  It appears that there are multiple
windows along a given wall which could be combined into one larger window.

Mike

On 2 Mar 2006 at 22:24, J S wrote:

> To whoever deals with internal windows:
> I've uploaded my IDF file 05n247ProposedLoads.zip.  The building is 3
> floors (2 are in the idf file) with a southern face 3 story atrium and
> a central 3 story light well.  Therefore, there are a lot of internal
> windows.  my intention is to model the internal light well windows to
> receive light from the skylight to daylight the occupied areas from
> the internal of the building and the exterior windows to daylight as
> appropriate.  I have not entered anything for the skylight yet, to
> drive the light well.  I do have 2nd floor Otherzone surfaces that are
> blank until I carry everything down for the 1st floor.  there are some
> construction mismatch errors that I can fix.  The type of error
> messages  I'm getting is "* Severe  ** GetSurfaceData: Construction
> 5FTCLEARINTWINDOW of interzone surface
> AHU3-3RDRAISEDFLOORSOUTHCORESOUTHINTWALLTOCAVITYWINDOW2 does not have
> the same materials in the reverse order as the construction
> TYPINTERIORWALL of adjacent surface AHU3-3RDCAVITYEASTINTWALLTOCORE"
> In addition, i'm getting azmuth errors which make no sense.  Could you
> offer some guidance?  This file is being used on a real project for a
> LEED gold attempt and will be submitted to LEED for the energy model.
>  Its very important I get this right.  Please help.
> John

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.idf and press the
> "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support