Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] EXTENDED DOUBT: reg:indian weather data

I am writing to the group as it may contain some useful information for other users too.
  For MRM model, you may look into a book "Solar radiation and daylioght models" by T Muneer (Architectural Press).
  TRY and TMY are different. I had explained in previous mail that hour by hour values cannot be compared as weather data sets were developed using long- term statistical properties of the available time seeries.
  The data given in Mani's books is basd on measured data between 1930 and 1960, and moreover the radiation data in Mani's book is also modeled. For your information, solar radiation is measured in India by the Meteorological Department only at about a dozen locations, and that too is not easily available. The radiation data therefore has to be modeled. I emphasise once again that it makes no sense to compare hour by hour data from two different sources as both are statistically modeled data sets.
  I hope this takes care of your doubts. But feel free to ask as and when more doubts come up.
  Best regards,
  Anil Misra

RAJ KUMAR <srajk76@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  dear sir,
                   Thanks for clarifying my doubt, i have some more doubt in weather data

         are  TMY and TRY, same terminology  or different?. Did the data has been  formulated  based on steps given in TMY2 manual?. Could you please explain about  MRM model or give me some reference?. Is The solar radiation data provided, instantaneous or average?.

        Because I have taken monthly mean hourly radiation from EPW and compared with Solar radiation  handbook by   Mani, it is not matching.

     There will be variation, I accept.But say for 0700 HRS (LST) in january, if the radiation given in handbook is 40 KWhr/m^2 and 100 in EPW. This makes as to think, why? . The data given in Mani handbook is average Solar radiation.

    At the same, time, if I take average Solar radiation on hourly basis, it matches with handbook data having  10-20% variation.

  Regards,
  Rajkumar.S

A Misra <lesolarch@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  The Indian weather data was sent to EnergyPlus in form of Typical Reference Years (TRYs) which were generated from actual measured data series from 1981 to 1992 (except radiation which was synthesized on the basis on MRM model). EP later converted the data to EPW format. The development of TRYs is based on long term statistical averages of Dry-Bulb temperatures. During this process there is no control on the year from which data has been extracted. This decision was made automatically by the statistical averages. I would suggest that data must be accepted as statistical representative of long- term characteristics of weather at the particular site/location. Therefore the data cannot be compared with any actual measured data for a particular day or hour at a given location.
  I would be happy to answer further quereis on this matter, if any.
  Best regards,
  Anil Misra
  New Delhi, India

        Medical software program   Cad software program   Email software program     Wedding program software   Backup software program   Anti virus software program