RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] window with internal heat source

This wasn't my EnergyPlus question, but I know about the systems.

This is not a "standard" product.  I design these systems for new and
retro fit work on highly humidified buildings where excessive
condensation may occur on the window frames.  Basically you are looking
at electric resistance heat cable attached to or captive in a metal
window frame assembly.

I don't think EnergyPlus can be used to reasonably model these systems.
The simple control is to use an outside temperature as a turn on point
for the heaters.  There may be a way to trigger a fixed load for a meter
in EnergyPlus, but you can also do this with an examination of a weather
file.  The simple system is more complex in terms of where the heat
goes, and I don't think the frame model for window heat loss can
appropriately deal with splitting the heat loss between inside and out.
It may be different for head, sill and jambs.  Solar gain and shadows
from reveals change the dynamics of heat flow and surface temperature.

A better controlled system (potentially 7x less power in one of my field
studies) measures the frame surface temperature and turns on the heat
when needed to maintain window frame surface temperature above dew
point.  There is considerable two dimensional heat flow and solar gain
that works into this control, so again I don't think there is the
ability to reasonably model the system in EnergyPlus.

A paper I've written should be published in September this year as part
of the 3rd International Building Physics/Science Conference in
Montreal.