[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Vented PV Cavity

Brent,

Thanks again for your reply.

I have captured the 24-hour outside facade surface temperature,
inside surface temperature and sensible cooling energy.

With ventilated PV, the outside facade surface temperature is
normally lower. However, the sensible cooling energy is higher for
most hours of a day. I think that the reason is that heat gain
accumulation at night is higher because the facade can't contact to
the outside environment. So, little sensible cooling energy can be
reduced until afternoon. Is that right?

I have uploaded the file for observation. You can find 4 sheets in
the excel file "For checking (temp & cooling energy).xls". I have
plottted the outside facade surface temperature and sensible cooling
energy for Aug-8. You can also see the data for Aug-8.

Thanks!

Tony

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Griffith, Brent"
<brent_griffith@...> wrote:

> Tony,
>

> I looked at these files and didn't see a problem.
>

> For vertical BIPV, you have two options in EnergyPlus.  The
first, "Construction with Internal Source" is a more robust model
but it is only for cases where there is no ventilation on the back
side.  The second, external cavity model allows modeling the effect
of ventilation on the back side, but experimental research is still
needed to have a better understanding of the model inputs for Cd,
Cv, open area, etc.  The Sandia PV model can respond to the module
temperature in both cases, but the changes in efficiency turn out to
be pretty small most of the time.  You could model both ways and
compare to see the potential improvements from ventilation.

> Regarding your observation that "resulting annual electricity
consumption is not
> improved," it is difficult to say.  I would need to examine
complete input files for both cases (after macro processing
please).  Just guessing, I would say the vertical walls are not a
big part of the cooling load compared to the windows, roof, and
internal gains and anything you do to them won't make much
difference. I would compare the two runs by plotting the inside face
surface temperatures for the wall for at least 24 hours.