Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Daylighting obstructions

Well, I see that the daylighting section of the Input Output Reference is
inconsistent on these subjects.  (On the list to fix now.)

Referring to p. 290 of the I/O Reference (pdf p. 327), internal obstructions
accounted for in daylighting.  This is not mentioned in the list of differences
for DElight, so I assume that DElight also accounts for internal obstructions.
I cannot say that I have verified this for either of the daylighting models.

For solar gains, interior obstructions are not accounted for.  The FullInterior
solar distribution options require a "convex" zone.  From p. 12 (pdf p. 49) "A
formal definition of convex is that any straight line passing through
the zone intercepts at most two surfaces.)"

Mike

On 8 Sep 2006 at 11:04, Andy Tindale wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Is it possible to use EnergyPlus to model large internal obstructions to
> solar and daylighting penetration within a zone using surfaces or other
> objects?.
>
> Clearly this would require the full exterior and interior solar distribution
> option, but I just wondered whether the presence of any internal obstruction
> surfaces would be accounted for in the calculation of daylight factors and
> solar distribution about the space.  Are Daylighting:Detailed and
> Daylighting:DELight the same in this respect.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy
>
> Andy Tindale
> DesignBuilder Software Limited
> Email: andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> website: http://www.designbuilder.co.uk
>
> DISCLAIMER:
> This message is confidential. You should not copy it or disclose its
> contents to anyone. You may use and apply the following only for the
> intended purpose. Internet communications are not secure and therefore
> DesignBuilder Software Limited does not accept legal responsibility for the
> contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are only those of
> the author and not those of DesignBuilder Software Ltd. If this email has
> come to you in error please delete it and any attachments.

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.idf and press the
> "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support