RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Increasing Concrete conductivity

In the past some concrete was produced with steel shot replacing some of
the sand in the mix.  We have seen this mix, but are uncertain what
purpose the steel shot performed. The shot does corrode on exposed
surfaces.  Shot in the concrete matrix remains protected unless there is
a chloride penetration.

Prior to glass and plastic fiber, metal fiber reinforcement was used in
concrete and is still available.  The wires are about 2 inches long and
are randomly dispersed in the matrix.  Wire ends near the surface or
wires finished near the surface may experience corrosion.  The wires
increase concrete strength.

We don't have any thermal properties for these materials.  Perhaps ACI
(American Concrete Institute) has some data.  There should be some
increased thermal conductivity, but greater mass may increase storage as
well.

A lot of the dynamic response is heat storage in the concrete.  Sounds
like you want to do temperature setbacks in a space, something I do not
recommend with high mass radiant systems.  You could also improve
response by decoupling the mass.  Put your heat in a 2-3 inch topping
slab on insulation.

Ned Lyon, Staff Consultant

Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc.