Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] shading devices

1.  No.  There is no current auto import of CAD data.  One or more of the
private-market user interface tools can display the CAD drawing and allow you
to trace over it.  Shading devices are modeled 3 ways in EnergyPlus:  as a
shade on the window surface, as a blind (movable slats) on the window surface,
or as a collection of exterior shading surfaces (see SURFACE:SHADING:*).

2.  In EnergyPlus, a window (SURFACE:HEATTRANSFER:SUB, type=WINDOW) is required
to transmit solar gains into the building.  Windows are also used as
controllable openings for natural ventilation (see AIRFLOWNETWORK).  The solar
transmittance of the window area does not change depending on the open or
closed state of the window.  If the window is never glazed, simply an opening
in the exterior wall, then define the glazing properties to be nearly perfect
(e.g., transmittance = 0.99999, reflectances = 0.00001).

3.  EnergyPlus will determine the net direct and diffuse solar radiation which
passes through the window, accounting for all shading devices.  If you specify,
Solar Distribution=FullInteriorAndExterior or
FullInteriorAndExteriorWithReflections) in the BUILDING object, EnergyPlus will
determine which surfaces the incoming direct solar falls on and account for
this in the heat balance for each surface.  The sunlit area and sunlit fraction
can be reported for exterior surfaces, but not for interior surfaces.

4.  Yes, both inside and outside surface temperatures can be reported.

Mike

On 27 Feb 2007 at 22:59, neslihanturkmenoglu wrote:

> I am a very new user(I haven't used anything yet).Before, I sent a
> message but I didn't get any answer. I hope someone hears me now:)
>
> I want to simulate  cross ventilated zone having different types of
> shading devices(19 types derived from 2 main- perpendicular to the
> wall-parallel to the wall-alternatives) on exterior wall.I want to
> see the effects of these devices to the cooling loads.
>
> 1-I have modelled all these devices in CAD. So when I import my
> drawings , will the program be able to recognise the information
> about all these?
>
> 2-When the window is open, how will I define a shading device?
> In the examples, there were glazed surfaces.
>
> 3-As my window is open,ý want to consider the shaded and unshaded
> areas caused by shading devices, emerge on floor. I have already
> done this with other program. Will I import these informations to
> energyplus or will I do all these through energyplus ?
>
> 4-Can Energyplus calculate the surface temperatures?
>
> 5-Can you advice me the easiest way to start?
>
> thank you very much.
>
> Neslihan T.BAYRAKTAR

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.idf and press the
> "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support