Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Direct Air model

The Direct Air Terminal is a constant volume air distribution unit. This
can be used with either constant or cycling fan air systems. Furnaces,
Heat Pumps, and Unitary Systems would use this type of air distribution
unit.

 From the Engineering Reference on pg 392:

Direct Air

Central system air is usually supplied to a zone through a terminal unit
such as a single duct VAV reheat box.  Sometimes, however, it is
desirable to supply central system air directly to a zone without any
zone level control or tempering.  An example would be Furnace or Central
DX equipment.  Direct air is the component used to pass supply air
directly into a zone without any thermostatic control.  The Direct Air
unit allows the program to know what zone this branch of the air system
is attached to and a place to input the maximum air flow rate.

The Direct Air object creates the capability of supplying central system
air directly to a zone and only contains the zone inlet node.  This node
is both the zone inlet node and the outlet node of the Zone Splitter.
It can be thought of as a balancing damper in the duct branch going to
the zone.  This inlet flow rate can be adjusted by a schedule.  This can
be thought of as a seasonal adjustment of the balancing damper.

For the Direct Air objects to work correctly, it is important in any
systems including Direct Air objects for the sum of the maximum zone air
flow rates to be equal to the maximum central system flow rate.  The
zone maximum flow rates are specified in the direct air inputs.  The
central air system flow rate is specified in the Air Primary Loop input
and also in the air loop branch and central fan inputs.

--
Richard A. Raustad
Senior Research Engineer

UCF - From Promise to Prominence: Celebrating 40 Years