RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Window5 data vs IDF dimension

Frames play important role in window heat transfer and unless their
properties are very close to the glazing they need to be specified fairly
precisely.  This is especially true for commercial fenestration, where
framing material is typically Aluminum (thermally broken or not).  E+
anomaly to treat single lite windows different than multiple lite windows is
something that we had to deal with for our EFEN program.  Because it is very
inconvenient to have to model every size of window in WINDOW program for
dual lite windows (where E+ takes dimensions from the WINDOW report file and
ignores IDF file), we have developed procedure that converts dual lite
window report file into the equivalent single lite report file, preserving
all of the parameters of the original dual lite window.  This allows user to
model standard size dual lite window in WINDOW program and to use that same
file for other sizes that may be given in IDF file.  The procedure is
explained in the following document:
www.designbuildersoftware.com/docs/transfer/Conversion_multi-glazing-windows
.doc.

The warning when dimensions in IDF file are different more than 10% than
dimensions in WINDOW report file can be completely ignored because the
resulting error is very small and is well within any other uncertainty
associated with window modeling.  It would be best if that warning message
was removed because it is meaningless.  On the other hand the error
associated with the use of WINDOW report dimensions for dual lite windows
(i.e., good number of users will not even realize that their IDF dimensions
are ignored) is huge and its relevance is completely lost in the current
warning message.  If windows were small contributor to the overall load and
energy transfer, this would not be big deal, but windows are credited on
average with 25% of the overall energy transfer in a building, which makes
their treatment extremely important, whether you are analyzing effects of
daylighting or not.  Theoretically, the use of WINDOW report file should
result in similar simulation run time whether you are modeling hundreds of
windows or a single window, because their properties are pre-calculated in
WINDOW, so no further calculations are necessary, however it seems that run
time in E+ increases substantially for larger number of windows.  This is
something that needs to be addressed and resolved in future versions of E+.

Charlie Curcija

DesignBuilder Software

  _____