Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Spreadsheet file format

Read particularly the "Input for Output" section in the Input Output Reference.

The simple ReadVars program (which produces the csv files) reads the
<project>.eso and <project>.mtr files to produce the csv files.  What
is in the eso files is dependent on the Report Meter (in your case)
and frequency.

I deduce you have asked for "monthly" output for all your meter
reporting.  And you have run the design day as well as the annual
simulation environments.

So, yes, your first two rows are the design day "monthly" (but in
this case that month is only 1 day) output frequency.  (EnergyPlus
does not try to manufacture a month result from a single day).  If
you had reported daily or hourly outputs, this would be more obvious.

Your succeeding rows are the actual monthly results.

Cumulative meter results should be only accumulated on each
environment -- your Var3 observation may indicate that you have
uncovered a bug.

At 08:28 AM 6/19/2007, jvd2pe wrote:

>Dear EPlus Group,
>I am a new user and trying to figure out how EPlus composes .csv
>files.  My project asks for 2 Report Meter variables (Electricity:Zone
>and EnergyTransfer:Zone), and also 2 Report Cumulative Meter variables
>(Electricity:Building and EnergyTransfer:Building).
>The "meter.csz" output file for my 6 month simulation displays rows thus:
>          Var1   Var2   Var3   Var4
>January   a      b      c      d
>July      e      f      g      h
>January   i      j      k      l
>February  .....etc
>June
>
>I think the first two rows are related to the 2 Design Days I
>specified (which are in Jan & July), but the file does not indicate
>that.  Var1 is the Electricity:Zone, and it seems that "a" and "i"
>should be identical or similar, but they are not.  "i" is 31 times
>greater than "a"!  My suspicion is that "a" is a single day, and "i"
>is a full month.
>However, Var3 is the Electricity:Building, and shows a total for the
>final month that is equal to all months PLUS the first two rows; that
>looks like duplication to me and would be inconsistent with my thought
>that the first two rows were Design days.
>In closing, I haven't found any documentation or previous discussion
>threads which address this and will appreciate insights about how to
>read the .csv files!  Thanks in advance.

Linda

EnergyPlus WebSite: http://www.energyplus.gov
Owner: EnergyPlus_Support list
Member: EnergyPlus Development Team