Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Radiant Floors - slab on grade losses?

I asked the team for suggestions on how to model this using current EnergyPlus
capabilities.  Here was one suggestion:

"The best the user could probably do is try some testing to check and see what
the potential impact of modeling ground heat transfer outside E+ will have.  I
could see three separate runs: ground model as per the normal instructions
(basically ignoring the presence of the radiant system), ground model with
elevated interior temperatures for when the radiant system is expected to run
to account for higher slab losses, and using the old 12" of dirt assumption.
The user could then compare the results and see how different things are.  Of
course, it will all depends on how much insulation the user has below the
slab."

I could think of some ways to expand on this, but they would all require
multiple runs and some experimenting.

Mike

On 21 Jun 2007 at 23:14, taharvey2001 wrote:

> We're trying to model a radiant floor system, slab on grade. The
> trouble I'm having is the ground (slab preprocessor) modeling is
> decoupled from the actual simulation. I'm not sure there is a accurate
> means to model radiant floors losses in a slab in E+. The preprocessor
> assumes an air to slab convection, doesn't consider HVAC cycling
> on/offs, and of course isn't actually coupled to the building simulation.
>
> Anyone have ideas on how to do this in a reasonable accurate way? We
> are open to other tools besides E+ too.
>
> When will ground loss simulations be coupled with the main simulation
> engine. The current preprocessor situation we find very unsatisfactory
> in many situations.

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.pdf under the
> Documentation link and press the "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx