From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Micheal
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2007 4:07 PM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: *.Rvi File Question

Thank for the quick response. I thought this would be the case.

I have a follow-up question. Can you run RunReadvarsESO.exe multiple
times? For example have several RVI files with "sets" of variables
like environment, walls, zones, systems and report to multiple *.csv
files. Also could use separate time frames in the *.rvi files. Using
this methodology I would hope I could import the various *.csv sets
into excel on different worksheets and use the data to create
reports in my own format.

A second question is do you know what happens if the *.rvi variable
is not present? For example if I where to enforce a generic naming
convention (such as wall1, wall2, ...) and not use all the names.
Would I just get the warning "The following variable were requested
but not generated". Do you know if it would "skip" the column to
maintain an absolute relationship or delete the non-existent
variable column to create a compact table with no "empty" columns?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

PS: I have and use XESOView which I find to be a very good program.
The problem I run into is that it doesn't allow looking at (charting
or reporting) multiple variables at the same time. Also, the company
I work for has quite a few "oldtimers" which I need to produce
outputs formatted in similar ways to their currently used methods
(CHVAC, Trace, and even hand calculated CLTD!) so that they can
better understand what is going on. The buildings we tend to model
are simple and very similar to one another (warehouses, maintenance
buildings, mechanical buildings, etc. for electric power plants). I
plan on masking most of the input and output of EPlus in a
more "user friendly" format using Excel hense all the questions
above.

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:EnergyPlus_Support%40yahoogroups.com> , Linda Lawrie
<lklawrie@...> wrote:

> You must use the rvi file for this purpose. Whatever you put in
> report variables, get shoved out to the eso file (or in case of
> meters also the .mtr file) as they "come up" in the simulation.
The

<http://www.energyplus.gov>