Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Defining radiant panel geometry

For this case, where part of the ceiling is heated, and part is not, the more
accurate approach would be two surfaces.  One surface with the internal source
that is the area of the radiant panels, and another surface that is the area of
the unheated portion of the ceiling.  If the radiant heat source is spread out
over a larger area, the average temperature of the surface will be cooler to
provide the same amount of heat to the space.  This could cause a significant
difference in total heat load, especially if there are many windows in the
zone.

The placement of the surface is less critical since EnergyPlus uses approximate
view factors.  So it is adequate to divide the ceiling into two rectangles to
simplify the coordinates.

Mike

On 10 Oct 2007 at 12:57, lorenzomattarolo wrote:

> Dear support,
>
> I have a basic question related to the definition of the geometry of
> the radiant panels.
>
> In "surfaceHeatTransfer" I added the coordinates of a square ceiling;
> for example the coordinates are (0,10) (0,0) (10,0) (10,10).
>
> Then I added the surface with a "construction with internal source".
> This type of construction has both the layers of the ceiling and the
> layers referred to the structure of the panels.
> The coordinates of the radiant-ceiling panels are:
> (2.5,7.5) (2.5,2.5) (7.5,2.5) (7.5,7.5)
>
> I'm wondering if it is correct to insert these coordinates, or it is
> being making a mistake to consider "twice" the surface where the
> panels are located.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help!
>
> Lorenzo

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.pdf under the
> Documentation link and press the "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx