Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Solar Thermal Space Heating ?s

There is no example file that shows solar collectors serving space heating.
SolarCollectorFlatPlateWater.idf gives you the connection for the collectors to
the hot water tank (water heater:mixed).

Example HeatRecoveryPlantLoop.idf shows how to connect the water heater as a
supply for hot water heating coils.  If you replace the heat recovery loop in
this example with the solar collector loop from the other example, this should
make the system you are looking for.  HeatRecoveryElectricChiller.idf also has
a similar configuration.

Regarding WATER HEATER:MIXED vs. WATER HEATER:STRATIFIED, these example were
made before WATER HEATER:STRATIFIED existed in EnergyPlus.  You should be able
to use either type of water heater.

Mike

On 8 Nov 2007 at 23:57, Kristin Field wrote:

> 2 questions:
>
> 1. Does anyone have or know of any solar thermal space heating system
> examples?  The one in the Example Files folder connects to DHW system.
>  I know that in theory I can get most of what I need from that file,
> but I thought it might be nice to check my space heating file against
> one that somebody has tested and works properly.  My system consists
> of hydronic radiant tubes that would be heated by the solar thermal
> system and/or NG boilers.  Any examples that incorporate a boiler
> plant for back-up would be especially helpful!
>
> 2. The example file and the documentation always use well-mixed tanks
> for the storage.  Can I use a stratified tank?
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> Kristin Field

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.pdf under the
> Documentation link and press the "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx