RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Window Heat Gain of South oriented window

If I understand correctly what you describe in your email then ... yes,
these results are normal and explainable.

In the summer (for a northern latitude), the sun passes high overhead
and solar radiation strikes a south-facing window at a very oblique
angle.  Therefore, the intensity of the incident radiation is
significantly reduced (the direct beam radiation is multiplied by the
cosine of the incidence angle).  Window heat gains also depend on the
sky diffuse and ground-reflected radiation and the reflection,
absorption, and transmission of the radiation as it passes through the
window glass, but the effect of sun angle on the incident radiation is
the dominant effect in the month-to-month variation (see the figure).
The fact that south-facing windows have higher gains in winter and lower
gains in summer is a key principle for passive solar heating of
buildings.  Shading devices above south windows (overhangs) also take
advantage of high sun angles to provide summer shading and further
reduction of window heat gains.

Craig