Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Window Heat Gain of South oriented window

EnergyPlus does not support windowblind materials on an opaque wall.

I can think of 3 options for modeling this:

1.  Add a metal material layer to the outside of the concrete and neglect any
airflow between the slats and the concrete.  This would also neglect any
sunlight which may penetrate the gap between the slats and be directly incident
on the concrete.

2.  Add shading surfaces to represent the slats, or use a single shading
surface with a partial transmittance.  This will shade the concrete from
sunlight only.  The wind speed seen by the concrete wall is not affected by the
presence of the shading surface(s).

3.  Use Surface:HeatTransfer:ExteriorNaturalVentedCavity.  This feature is
intended for a somewhat different type of configuration and requires some input
data which may not be readily available for this application.  But it will take
into account all effects including solar and wind.

Mike

On 2 Jan 2008 at 1:32, Ana Oliveira wrote:

> - If the architect designs a system similar to that described by the Blind
> shadowing devices (fixed metallic slats), but covering a concrete wall, simply
> for aestethical purposes,
>     - Does EnergyPlus support that feature applied to an opaque wall?
>     - And more important, do you have some experience-based notion if it is
>     "very" relevant to model that feature, in terms of the solar gains and
>     thermal analysis of the building?

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx