Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Floor- ceiling

Yes, you may thermally connect surfaces that are not geometrically adjacent as
long as the surface areas are equal.  However, you must be careful to make sure
that the full exterior wall area is modelled in order to account for the heat
loss/gain through the portion of the wall that is present from 10m to 11m.  If
you choose not to model the plenum space as a separate thermal zone, you must
include this wall area in the upper or lower zone or split it between the two.
You may find it easiest to simply make the lower zone include the ceiling
plenum and place the ceiling at 11m high instead of 10m.

Mike

On 2 Jan 2008 at 16:46, e_matta81 wrote:

> Hi, I'm a new user and I have a question about connecting floor and
> ceiling.
>
> I have a multistorey bulding and I want to thermally connect a ceiling
> (whose height is 10m from the ground) with a floor (whose height is
> 11m from the ground). Can i connect them, no matter if there is a zone
> between?
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> JM

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.pdf under the
> Documentation link and press the "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx