Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] DWH solar collector backup heating question

The general configuration of the SolarCollectorFlatPlateWater example file is
exactly what you describe - a solar hot water tank which flows to an
instantaneous water heater.  The temperatures and controls may need to be
modified, but the basic structure is what you are looking for.

Mike

On 29 Jan 2008 at 15:16, dailymigas wrote:

> Hi all
>

>     I want to model a solar collector with backup heating ( primarily
> a with a electric instantaneous water heater (tankless) but gas and a
> HPWH will come after). Now - and here is the tricky part - I want two
> things:
>
> 1 the back up heating to work on demand only ( that is to say no
> cycling what so ever. Heater off except when on demand )
>
> 2 The back up heating reads the water temperature as it leaves the
> solar collector's water tank and takes that temperature into account
> when it heats the water to a certain preset temperature. i.e. lets sat
> the water leaves the collector's tank at 23 C. The backup heating
> would read this and calculate the just enough energy needed to supply
> additionally to the water so it could reach 50 C. So if the water came
> out at 17 C then more energy it would be supplied and if it came out
> at 34 C smaller the energy input from the heater to the water.
>
> How can this be done?
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Miguel
>
> P.S. I have seen the SolarCollectorFlatPlateWater file in the example
> files. It seems a good starting point but it cycles and the water loop
>  would have to be redesign I think.

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.pdf under the
> Documentation link and press the "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx