Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Simulating a Multi Story Building

How you zone this building depends partly on how you plan to use the simulation
results.

You may combine the first two floors into a set of zones which are 2-floors
tall.  But you must remember that Floor 1 will behave differently than floor 2
if it is in contact with the ground.

Floor 6 is different from the rest, because it has a roof and will have
different heating/cooling loads than the middle floors.

You can model floors 3-5 as zones that are 3 floors tall using internal mass to
add the mass of the intermediate floors.  Or you can model one of these floors
and use zone multipliers.

Mike

On 29 Jan 2008 at 10:56, brandao_nuno wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I´m considering a Multi Story Building simulation with 6 floor. The
> building as heating and cooling requirements. The first two floors are
> different from the others and so it requires isolated simulation but
> the rest of the floors are the same.
>
> Is it possible to group the two first floors in one only geometry?
> Group the other floors? How do I guarantee border conditions?
>
> Having in mind that this is a different kind of simulation, I would
> ask if someone who has experience with multy-story building
> simulation, could point some guidelines, main difficulties and other
> problems that could be originated during the simulation procedure.
>
> Thanks for the help!
> Regards
> Nuno Brandao

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.pdf under the
> Documentation link and press the "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx