Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Ways to minimize IDF hand coding?

The water to air heat pump system is more like a unitary furnace with DX air
conditioner than a VAV system (see 5ZoneWaterLoopHeatPump.idf and
5ZoneWLHPPlantLoopTower.idf).  I would suggest the following:

1a.  If the heat pump systems serve a single zone, then start with one of the
air loops and related components from the 5ZoneWaterLoopHeatPump file.  Replace
the string "AHU 1" with a name that's meaningful for your project.

1b.  If the heat pump systems will serve multiple zones, then you may want to
start with a COMPACT HVAC:ZONE:UNITARY and COMPACT HVAC:SYSTEM:UNITARY, then
take the expidf file and swap in the heat pump components instead of the
furnace with dx cooling components.

2.  Once you have one system set up, then use a text editor to copy/paste this
for as many systems as you need and keep replacing the name string to make then
all unique.  This will take care of the air loops.  Note if you plan to
autosize, make sure all of the autosizeable fields are set to "autosize" before
you do the cloning.

3.  Then I would take the plant description from 5ZoneWLHPPlantLoopTower.idf
example file and clone the branch objects for the heat pumps and edit the
branch lists for the demand side.  The same list of branch names appears in the
BRANCH LIST, SPLITTER, and MIXER.

Mike

On 19 Feb 2008 at 17:46, boulder1259 wrote:

> I'm modeling of a 14 story residential building. The HVAC in the residential
> units comes from water-source heat pumps (water to air). The common areas are
> conditioned by gas furnace/evaporative cooling make-up air units (these units
> precondition the air that is eventually handled by the heat pumps).
>
> I am interested in suggestions for how to do the HVAC layout so as to minimize
> the amount of IDF hand coding.  I already have the geometry for the IDF.  My
> initial thoughts for setting up the HVAC system are to start with a VAV w/reheat
> system and then replace all the VAV boxes with water-source heat pumps. I'd
> convert the reheat water loop as the water-source loop. Of course I'd have to
> pull the chiller, integrate the cooling tower into the water loop, and add some
> controls (probably some other stuff too; I haven't thought through the whole
> process...).  I can easily add the makeup air units by hand.  Does this sound
> like a good start or do you have a better suggestion?
>
> I truly appreciate any help you can offer.
>
> Greg

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.pdf under the
> Documentation link and press the "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx