Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Example file 5ZoneVAV-Pri-SecLoop.idf

The use of supply air setpoints and hot & chilled water coil controllers
can vary from
quite simple to somewhat complicated. On the airside this is a
straightforward VAV system.
The simplest way to control this system is to employ one setpoint
manager and 2 simple controllers.
The setpoint manager would put a single desired temperature on the fan
outlet node. The cooling and
heating coil controllers would sense the temperature at this node; if
the node temperature > setpoint,
the cooling coil would control (reduce) the supply air temperature to
the setpoint. If the node
tmperature < setpoint, the heating coil would heat the supply air
temperature to the setpoint.
For economizer control, a SET POINT MANAGER:MIXED AIR could be used to
set a mixed
air setpoint given the fan outlet node setpoint as a reference.

In this case the author of the input file wants to have the heating coil
and cooling coil controlled
to different setpoints, separated by a deadband. He desires the supply
air temperature to be heated to
10 C at the fan outlet, cooled to 14 C at the fan outlet, and not heated
/ cooled if in between.
There's a problem: there can only be one setpoint on a given node. So
the user puts the cooling setpoint
of 14 C on the fan outlet. A SET POINT MANAGER:MIXED AIR adjusts this
setpoint for the fan heat
and assigns the resulting setpoint to the mixed air node and the cooling
coil outlet node. For the heating setpoint,
the fan outlet node can't be reused. So the user assigns the supply air
heating setpoint to the central system
inlet node, which normally isn't used (for setpoints or by controllers).
Another SET POINT MANAGER:MIXED AIR
adjusts this temperature for fan heat gain (just as if it were the fan
outler node) and assigns the resultant setpoint temperature to the
heating coil
outlet node. This is definately a trick, and it is too bad there isn't a
more straightforward way of doing this.
The cooling coil controller looks at the setpoint on its air outlet node
and controls to that temperature; the
heating coil controller looks at the setpoint on its air outlet node and
controls to that temperature.

All the sepoint mangers are effective during the simulation. The user
has taken care that they do not conflict.
You should never assign more than 1 setpoint to a node, and you should
be careful to specify your heating
and cooling coil setpoints and controls so that the coils on't fight
each other.

fred Buhl