RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Exporting models from ESP-r to EnergyPlus

Dear Nuno,

ESP-r exports up to EnergyPlus v2.0 and some other older EnergyPlus versions too. If you are using version v2.1 you will need to convert the idf file (from v2.0 to v2.1).
I have successfully exported few ESP-r models to EnergyPlus v2.0 in the past but you will need to be careful and know what can go wrong or what things do not work during the process. In brief:

1) If you have a door in your esp-r model then the converted idf will not work. I used to delete the doors in ESP-r before the conversion and then re-define them in EnergyPlus after the conversion. This is not a big deal I guess.

2) I also used to delete the resulted schedules in EnergyPlus from the operations file of ESP-r (although the idf will work with the resulted schedules). I did not really like the suggestions of ESP-r for occupancy schedules, etc. during the conversion to the idf and I was re-defining my schedules afterwards to better match the two models. Again, I think that this is not a big deal because the most important, at least for my work, was to convert geometry, materials and constructions.

Other things like the ideal controls that I was using in ESP-r are not converted into ideal systems (e.g. Purchased Air) in EnegyPlus. You will need to do this by yourself but I did not find it difficult myself.

If you follow the above 2 suggestions you will convert your model correctly..

Regards,
Georgios

Dear All,

I´m exporting some case study models from ESP-r software to simulate
with EnergyPlus. However I´m running into some problems with the
exported idf file. The export procedure isn´t working correctly or
there some assumptions which I´m still not aware of because I don´t
have much experience with ESP-r. I worked a bit with the ESP-r model,
renaming some surfaces and setting them as "exterior environment" for
boundary conditions, but I keep getting errors in the first attempts
to run simulations with EPlus.

Does anyone has experience with these procedures?
I´m uploading the idf file exported from ESP-r so that you can have a
look at it.

Any help would be very appreciated
Thanks
Nuno