[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Ice storage system in EnergyPlus

Thank you,Mike! However, this configuration will do affect the
efficiency of downstream chiller because of lower inlet water
temperature, I really wonder what difference will this configuration
make when compared to a real chiller upstream and ice tank priority
configuration? Moreover, when I tried to check inlet and outlet
temperatures of both chillers and ice tanks, even the loop outlet
temperature has achieved -5C and the tank has been fully charged,
there is still some energy consumption of chillers, is it confusing?
My pump's ration of pump in flow is 0, so I don't think additional
heat will add to this loop.Or is there any possible reason for this
instance? Thank you again and I am looking forward to your answer!

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Michael J. Witte"
<mjwitte@...> wrote:

> The ice storage units currently only work with component set point
based
> control, they do not work with load based controls.
>
> The only way to model ice tank priority would be to create a
second
> instance of the chiller which is downstream of the ice tank.  Then
use
> the setpoint manager schedules to operate only one of the two
chillers.

> Mike
>

> mingming_zuo wrote:
> > Hi all, I tried to model ice storage system with different kinds
of
> > operation strategy in energyplus such as ice tank
priority,chiller
> > priority.By doing these work, i come to a question:what control
> > strategy of plants in a loop can energyplus achieve? Can it just
act as
> > it is said in the input&output reference? I think it may not be
the
> > fact. I would like to share some of my failure with you, which
may help
> > us have a good understanding of energyplus and make better use
of it.In
> > one of my several models, the chiller and ice tank is configured
in
> > series with the chiller upstream.Two operation schemes,one is
Cooling
> > Load Range Based Operation and the other is Component Setpoint
Based
> > Operation, are also defined in the Plant-condenser
control.Cooling Load
> > Range Based Operation is set to run during peak hours while
Component
> > Setpoint Based Operation runs during the night time. Moreover,
we
> > define ,in plant equipment list,the ice tank first and then the
main
> > chiller, hoping the ice tank will satisfy the cooling load
> > first.However the results of this model is really disapointed
and the
> > chiller still has its priority in satisfying the cooling load. I
also
> > upload an idf file named IceStorage-Series-ChillerUpstream.idf
which is
> > an example file with some related parts redefined.I hope it can
help us
> > to learn more.

> > http://www.energyplus.gov
> >
> > The group web site is:
> >
> > Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the
appropriate folder in the Files area of the Support Web Site.

> > EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.pdf
under the Documentation link and press the "search" button.